Investment Management / Funds
The investment management industry is in an unprecedented era of change. Increased globalization, increased regulation and changes to our domestic and international tax environment present complex cross-border legal and tax challenges. At the same time investors continue to demand higher returns.
You can count on our innovative, market-relevant, legal, regulatory and tax advice and solutions, as well as our ability to work across borders to help you achieve your goals. Our work is to support you with the design and formation of successful and sustainable fund and investment structures enabling you to do what you are good at – seeking market opportunities and raise capital.
What we can do for you
Our multidisciplinary fund team represents sponsors and investors in a broad range of (alternative) asset classes and from around the world. We know the ‘terms & conditions’ of the various alternative asset classes and can help you with fund and investment structures that fit your strategy, investor base and management organisation. Our solution driven approach and execution power will help you to go from term sheet to closing of your transaction in a seamless way. Our fund team works in close collaboration with our private equity, tax, real estate and banking & finance colleagues and comprises a network of specialists around the globe.
The strength and depth of our fund formation skills, know-how of various strategies and understanding of investors’ demands, has made us the investment management practice of choice of both long-standing and new clients. Whether it involves the initial ‘term sheet’, the formation, structuring, marketing, documentation or closing: we cover all aspects of investment fund services. However bespoke the terms, timelines and sought after solutions, clients turn to us to deal with the intricacies of fund formation.
International fund structuring comes naturally to us due to our unique tax capacity and international client base. We share industry insights derived from our many transactions in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, UK, US, Switzerland and Asia in order to bring clients sustainable, best-value funds and investment structures.
Fund formation services
Our fund formation services include:
- Advice on the optimal (cross-border) fund and investment structure, taking into account the investors base, the investment strategy and the organisation of the management.
- International investment management tax structuring, taking into account the “BEPS” and transfer pricing developments, as well as investment management-related VAT issues.
- Structuring and negotiating of fund documentation with investors, from a tax and corporate perspective.
- Structuring of carried interest, organisation of employee investment entities and structuring of other incentive arrangements.
- Providing regulatory, corporate and tax advice to institutional investors like pension funds, public investment entities, mutual funds, hedge funds and proprietary funds sponsored by insurance companies, banks and other.
- Rendering capital market-related work in relation to listings and delisting through, among others, public offers of investment funds.
- Assistance with financial and tax modelling.
We pride ourselves in being actively involved in the Luxembourg Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (LPEA), Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry (ALFI), Invest Europe (formerly known as EVCA), the Dutch Association of Private Equity Firms (NVP), the Asian and the European Association for Investors in Non-listed Real Estate Vehicles (ANREV and INREV) and the European Public Real Estate Association (EPRA). This involvement and our work for our clients (both LPs and GPs) has allowed us to gain deep industry knowledge.
What others say about the team
Chambers: "Clients praise the lawyers for being "very knowledgeable and on top of new developments in the industry," in addition to being "very responsive."
"One client adds that the practice has "the best tax lawyers for fund management."
Legal500: ”Loyens & Loeff's team has, according to one client, ‘an excellent level of expertise, better connections with local tax and financial markets authorities than many others' and is 'very experienced and up-to-date on international and cross-border issues.”
“Benefiting from 'deep market and regulatory knowledge', Loyens & Loeff provides 'sophisticated and straightforward advice' to managers on the establishment and ongoing operational needs associated with their alternative funds.”
For more information please call one of our Investment Management specialists. Alternatively, you can send us an email and we will respond promptly.