Olivier van der Haegen
Partner - Attorney at Law
Olivier van der Haegen, attorney at law, is Partner and member of the Litigation & Risk Management practice group in our Brussels office. He is experienced in dispute resolution, and focuses on international arbitration. He is also a member of the Corporate Investigations, Compliance & Defence and of the France Region Teams.
Olivier regularly acts as counsel in international arbitration proceedings, either ad hoc or under various institutional rules. He also assists clients in court proceedings relating to setting aside, recognition and enforcement of international arbitral awards or foreign judgments (including in investment treaty cases and against Sovereigns).
Aside from his extensive arbitration practice, Olivier handles litigations (including white-collar crime defence) before Belgian courts in the real estate, construction, energy and media industries.
Olivier also sits as an arbitrator under the ICC or Cepani Rules.
His recent activities include the representation of:
- Foreign investors in enforcement proceedings of investment-treaty awards (UNCITRAL and ICSID) against sovereign States
- Two real estate developers in post-M&A Cepani arbitrations (seats in Brussels and Luxembourg)
- A credit insurance company and a world leading energy company in ICC arbitration against an African employer (seat in Paris)
- A Belgian leading infrastructures company acting as contractor in ICC arbitration against a Spanish employer (seat in Paris)
- A publisher and media company in civil and criminal proceedings relating to a fraud on the art market