What investigative powers can be used?
During a dawn raid, officials from any of the authorities listed above can exercise the following investigative powers:
- Enter any business premises, land or means of transport without prior consent
- Conduct interviews and ask questions (the presence of a lawyer is always advised in such circumstances).
- Examine business records that fall within the scope of the investigation
- Examine formal and informal documents (including emails, notes, minutes, agendas, phone records, social media accounts and text messages).
- Ask for access to physical filing cabinets and desk drawers.
- Take copies or make extracts from physical and digital records.
- Seal access to conference rooms or other business objects (breaking or otherwise interfering with official seals, by any person, can result in substantial fines).