The investment management industry is in an unprecedented era of change. Increased globalization, increased regulation and changes to our domestic and international tax environment present complex cross-border legal and tax challenges. At the same time investors continue to demand higher returns.
You can count on our innovative, market-relevant, legal, regulatory and tax advice and solutions, as well as our ability to work across borders to help you achieve your goals. Our work is to support you with the design and formation of successful and sustainable fund and investment structures enabling you to do what you are good at – seeking market opportunities, raise capital and provide return to your investors.
What we can do for you
Our multidisciplinary fund team represents sponsors and investors in a broad range of (alternative) asset classes, with a focus on private equity and real estate, and from around the world. We know the ‘terms & conditions’ of the various alternative asset classes and can help you with fund and investment structures that fit your strategy, investor base and management organisation. Our solution driven approach and execution power will help you to go from term sheet to closing of your transaction in a seamless way.
The strength and depth of our fund formation skills, know-how of various strategies and understanding of investors’ demands, has made us the investment management practice of choice of both long-standing and new clients. Whether it involves the initial ‘term sheet’, the formation, structuring, marketing, documentation or closing: we cover all aspects of investment fund services. Being organized as integrated practices, you also have the capacities to accompany fund managers in the acquisitions and disposals, and related financing.
Due to the regulatory framework, funds need to comply with more complicated remuneration structures for senior managers and risk takers. We have an in-depth knowledge on all aspects of scheduling and implementing salary and remuneration structures, including development of deferral incentive schemes and share linked instruments, and have assisted several funds in the implementation of such schemes.
International fund structuring comes naturally to us due to our unique tax capacity and international client base. We share industry insights derived from our many transactions in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, UK, US, Switzerland and Asia in order to bring clients sustainable, best-value funds and investment structures.
Fund formation services
Our fund formation services include:
- Advice on the optimal (cross-border) fund and investment structure, taking into account the investors base, the investment strategy and the organisation of the management
- International investment management tax structuring, taking into account the “BEPS” and transfer pricing developments, as well as investment management-related VAT issues
- Structuring and negotiating of fund documentation with investors, from a tax, corporate and remuneration perspective
- Structuring of carried interest, organisation of employee investment entities and structuring of other incentive arrangements
- Providing regulatory, corporate and tax advice to institutional investors like pension funds, public investment entities, mutual funds, hedge funds and proprietary funds sponsored by insurance companies, banks and other
- Rendering capital market-related work in relation to listings and delisting through, among others, public offers of investment funds
- Assistance with financial and tax modelling
- Yearly tax and legal fund review, corporate housekeeping
- Drafting remuneration policy and drafting management reports;
- negotiations with supervisors on all corporate and employment aspects of the fund
Our transaction services include:
- Fund finance
- Deal structuring, business plan and tax forecast
- Tax and legal due diligence
- Transaction documentation and negotiations
- Regulatory advise (e.g. merger control)
- Fund finance
Kris De SchutterPartner Attorney at law
Kris De Schutter is partner in and chairman of the Employment & Benefits practice group in Belgium. He has over 18 years all-round experience in collective and individual employment law, with a particular focus on transformation, especially from a holistic view linked to alternative (flexible) remuneration, restructurings and change processes.T: +32 2 700 10 13 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Antoine BéchaimontSenior associate Attorney at Law
Antoine Béchaimont, attorney at law, is a senior associate of the Real Estate practice group in our Brussels office and works also in our Paris office. He focuses on counselling in real estate transactions and taxation. He is also a member of the Investment Management/Funds team.T: +32 2 700 10 39 M: +32 472 93 60 23 E: email@example.com
Ariane BrohezPartner Attorney at Law
Ariane Brohez, Partner, is a member of the Real Estate practice group in our Brussels office. She focuses on real estate structuring and taxation, real estate funds and real estate investments.T: +32 2 743 43 21 M: +32 495 21 26 59 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Christophe LaurentPartner Attorney at Law
Christophe Laurent, Partner, heads the Real estate practice group in our Brussels office. He focuses on real estate transactions and taxation. He is also a member of the Investment Management/Funds team.T: +32 2 743 43 05 M: +32 476 39 06 90 E: email@example.com