Senior Associate - Attorney at Law
Rens Markus, attorney at law, is a member of the Litigation & Risk Management practice group in our Rotterdam office. He focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration, with an emphasis on liability law, insurance law and disputes concerning commercial contracts.
Rens often represents high-profile clients, such as multinational policyholders, private equity funds and financial institutions. Rens has substantial experience litigating cases in arbitration proceedings (including governed by the ICC, ARIAS and NAI rules) and before Dutch state courts (courts of first instance and courts of appeal).
Rens has specific experience in advising and litigating on disputes concerning product(related) liability, claims under commercial contracts and disputes concerning coverage under warranty & indemnity insurances, professional indemnity and D&O insurances. In coverage disputes, Rens often advises and represents the policyholder.
Recent work highlights include representing:
- a Fortune-500 technology company as policyholder regarding a coverage claim of USD 700 million
- some of the largest public transport companies on contractual claims against purchasers and sellers of vehicles
- a multinational automotive policyholder regarding EUR 250 million+ coverage claims against the primary and excess insurers
- a financial institution as policyholder in arbitration proceedings regarding a EUR 100 million+ coverage claim under a professional liability insurance
- several private equity funds in coverage claims under warranty & indemnity and D&O insurances
Rens lectured insurance and liability law at for the LL.M. at the Erasmus University Rotterdam and he lectured corporate law at the Nyenrode Business University.