Insurance companies: are you ready for IDD?
Getting ready for IDD requires advance preparation: two important areas include identifying affected employees and establishing training.
Insurance companies are distributors under IDD
The Insurance Distribution Directive of 20 January 2016 has been in force in Luxembourg since local implementing legislation was passed on 10 August 2018.
Insurance companies now qualify as distributors for their activities which consist of the direct sale of insurance products. Among the numerous requirements, firms need to ensure that by 1 January 2020:
- they establish a list of the individuals working for the company (and its branches) who are directly involved in the distribution of insurance products and are not already registered as insurance agents; and
- they obtain authorisations for those individuals as insurance agents with the Luxembourg insurance regulator (Commissariat Aux Assurances).
In addition, insurance agents are now obliged to pursue regular training on a yearly basis covering insurance regulation, products sold, and marketing techniques.
To Do’s for insurance companies
- Identify the individuals in the company who are involved in insurance distribution;
- Register those individuals as insurance agents with the CAA before 1 January 2020; and
- Organise regular in-house training and a system for monitoring progress.
Do you need help?
We would be happy to provide you with further details about these new requirements. If you need any assistance regarding the identification or registration processes with the CAA or establishing a training program which is compliant with the regulatory framework, please contact us.
Michael SchweigerLocal Partner Attorney at law / Avocat à la Cour / Solicitor
Michael Schweiger, local partner, is a member of the Banking & Finance practice group in our Luxembourg office. He leads the Luxembourg financial regulatory team and regularly advises banks, e-money and payment institutions, insurers, and other clients regarding financial regulation.T: +352 466 230 520 E: [email protected]
Don't miss out. Stay up to date about our latest news and events.Stay informed